As an eCommerce merchant you have to pay attention to Amazon and Google. Google is likely one of your top traffic channels. Amazon is either enemy or partner #1 or perhaps they’re your top frenemy. In this episode we dive into recent Google and Amazon news and what it means for your business. Here are some of the highlights:
- Google Shopping - Google will roll this out on the display network, calling it Retail Shopping on Display.
- Google Shopping Q1 2017 year over year growth outpaced Q4 Year over year 21% vs. 19%.
- Google Shopping/PLAs now 75% of non-branded retail clicks.
- Google shopping spend grew 32% in Q1 for year over year
- Google AdWords phone and desktop spend increased 51% and 12%, respectively, while tablet spend fell 23%.
- Similar Audiences for Search & Shopping
- Demographics for Search
- YouTube TV - similar to sling box.
- Original content via YouTube Red. 6 Shows including shows feature Ellen, Kevin Hart, and Ryan Seacrest.
- 18-49 year olds spend more time on YouTube in prime time than watch the top 10 TV shows combined.
- YouTube Scandal - big brand ads placed next to neo nazi and jihadist content. 5% of top advertisers pulled ads.
- Q1 earnings - Sales grew 23%. $35.7 billion in sales, $8billion in growth.
- AWS grew 42% to $3.66B
- Subscription services $1.94 Billion mainly Amazon Prime - 49% YoY
- Making prime sticky with original content - Manchester by the Sea won two oscars. Best actor - Casey Affleck and Best Director.
- Purchased the rights to Thursday night football
- Amazon Prime is closing in on Costco in terms of members. Now roughly 80 million prime users in the US. 37% growth since last year. In March of 2017 costco has 88.1 million members.
- Amazon Fresh pickup
- Amazon Go Store